To qualify for enrolment at Hunter Sports High School a student must either live in the local drawing area or be selected on merit as a talented sportsperson. Students participating in the Sports Academy undertake specialised development programs in their chosen sport during school time as a school subject. This is integrated with a full academic curriculum which caters for the special needs of the talented athlete.
Our academies are highly competitive with limited places. To be considered for a place in our Sports Academy please ensure the application meets ALL four placement criteria.
Placement in the academy is dependent on a student meeting ALL of the following criteria:
- Talent and skill in their chosen sport
- Capacity to be self-directed and self-regulated
- Ability to work well with a partner and in teams
- Positive attitude to their school studies and education
Continuation in the sports academy is dependent on a student demonstrating:
- Continued development and improvement in the nominated sport
- Meeting required levels of attendance
- Payment of Sports Academy fees
- Adherence to Hunter Sports High School's Code of Conduct
Trial Application Procedure:
- Complete the Sports Academy application form
- Attach a current photograph to the application form
- If the applicant has a diagnosed medical condition you must provide and action plan and/or a first aid treatment plan for each condition. Please do not send originals as they will not be returned. If the applicant has special needs which should be catered for in their trial, please provide any relevant documentation or outline the nature of their special need.
- Attach full copies of your child's two most recent school reports and their Birth Certificate. Please do not send originals.
- Email or mail this form back to the school before the closing date. The trial fee of $40 may be paid online (link on home page of this website) or by cheque made payable to Hunter Sports High School.
- Students can only nominate for one Sports Academy.
- Attend your trial. Only students who have completed their application form and paid their trial fee will be able to attend the trial. Please arrive at your trial venue at least 15 minutes early and come dressed in appropriate playing/training gear.
- Trial dates/times are subject to change. Please check dates on this website prior to the trial date in case of changes. Trial information is available on this website and is regularly updated.
- All applicants will be advised of the outcome of their application in writing.
- Please ensure the information you submit is true and correct. If it is found to be incorrect any offer for placement may be withdrawn. All information provided is treated in strictest confidence.